Sunday, September 12, 2010

The flower of my Imagination...in retail

The choice I decided to visit for my Seeing Sideways project was the mall. I had happened to be going there anyway and figured why not kill two birds with one stone. What I noticed while I was there was how annoying it was to shop. It is annoying to fight through crowds. To search through racks of clothes and by the time you're done searching all you find is that they don't have your size. Customer service is a joke in retail, I needed help about a thousand times and couldn't find it or I was smothered by salespeople trying to sell me every pair of Nikes in the store. The technology I'd like to see to be able to be used in stores is a the 3-D image camera. The way I would implement this technology in any store is by making it easier to see what clothes look like on you without having to try every single garment on, this also would allow you to try on multiple garments at once and swap quickly between them. I would have a 3-D camera capture your whole body (if possible) then render a 3-D image of yourself on a touch screen. The screen would be a virtual shopper but instead of seeing the clothing on a generic figure you actually get to see it on yourself and what you look like on that certain day, as oppose to imagining it. You would be able to try different sizes and it should even be able to take measurements on your whole body from the imaging, so it can tell you exactly what size you would need. Now I'm not sure if anyone would actually use this because some people hate technology and actually like to see what stuff looks like in person but, this would be the next best thing without having to deal with debating on clothes that you if you're like me just don't feel like trying on. It would streamline the fitting system of shopping also.

No comments:

Post a Comment