This class I feel has helped me find a voice that I used to have. I feel that in the past few years of college I've just let them float by without putting forth much effort. i can't say I've put in as much effort as I possibly can into this class because lets be honest, if I can get by on bullshit I do it. There is an art however to bullshitting and I feel that at times I can excel at it but I don't agree with it. I feel that I cut myself short if I do it too often. This project I am not trying to completely bullshit but I feel that it is going to come off this way. I almost feel bad for anyone that reads these posts because instead of doing real classwork that is asked, I ramble on about what I think about certain things or why I think about them. This class has helped me again by being able to express myself and really just talk out feelings and thoughts that I have had for some time but haven't had a place or a reason to put them anywhere. I suppose this is why people blog, just to get their ideas out and whoever wants to listen will and if you don't well thats what the address bar at the top is for. So with that viewpoint in mind I'll get started on my "you call it."
Warning: This might potentially turn into a ramble.
Creativity can take many forms, from shooting video to painting a picture to engineering a bridge to writing a novel. I believe that it helps the world revolve from being mundane and black and white, kind of like "The Giver." It allows people to express themselves and have fun, sometimes it can be for work and others it is just pure enjoyment. I like to express myself through interpretive dance... I'm kidding, but I do enjoy writing. I used to write all the time in high school and I had basically given up on it until recently. I have never saw through my writing to actually finish anything useable besides a few poems and short stories. The "you call it" I want to do basically involves me writing.
The basis for my "you call it" comes from Honda. I'm an avid Honda fan. I drive a Honda, I believe they are the best cars, one of the greatest manufacturing companies and motor companies. Their innovation and business savvy has helped this economy and environment more than people know. Enough of that though, the real inspiration I found was because i'm a "fan" of them on facebook. Apparently earlier this month there was a week set aside for a "dream vs. nightmares" week. They have partnered with www.experienceproject.com to evoke creative thinking about dreaming. I thought that this would be an awesome topic to discuss in class on basically the differences in what people see in them. Honda basically every few days asked a different question about dreams, like "Have you ever had a nightmare that affected your approach to a real life situation?" Or "is there ever a time to put aside your lifelong dreams?" They are generating discussions based on dreams and nightmares affecting real lives and I think its great to dip that deep into your dreams to see how they do affect your life.
There are a couple of ways I see to really measure what dreams are. You can take them for what they are, you have them at night, they are projections of the way you subconsciously see the world. Or you can see them as something that you strive to achieve in your own world. They often do ,however, blend together into a grey area. I can't tell you the last time I had a dream that I remembered, some will say that you have a dream every single night but you just don't always remember them. There have been million discussions about dreams and what takes place in them, are they black and white? is there dialogue? In some cultures it is considered a bad omen to talk in a dream. If there were a way to delve deep into your dreams I feel that people could understand you as a human being better. Your dreams I feel have to be a projection on how you really feel in a lot of situations. They're pure, uninhibited, you. You can't lie to yourself in a dream. Not that all dreams necessarily have to be about something, sometimes it can just be you walking down the road or they can be intense nightmares that are your worst fears, differentiating them sometimes could be hard thought.
The other aspect of dreams is that you dream to be or accomplish something, something you strive for. These dreams are also controversial. Some say there are dreamers and doers, I however, disagree with that statement. I don't believe the doer was always a doer, I feel that to actually do something, to accomplish something, you have to dream it first. I don't care how you look at it, from a small idea to elaborating some giant scheme, it was dreamed up from something. There are lyrics in a song by The Unknown Prophets that I always can recall that pertain to this. They go "Look, I have never had a dream in my life because a dream is what you wanna do but still haven't pursued, I did what I wanted to do and did it until it was done, I've been the dream I've wanted to be since day one." I feel those lyrics are strong because they make sense. I completely understand why you wouldn't want to be a dreamer in that sense. People have pipe dreams for a reason, its something that you won't ever probably accomplish and if you just don't have those dreams and just do what you want then you won't ever be let down or feel like you have missed out on anything. I also feel though that if people didn't dream, then the world would have developed at a much slower rate. People need to find a middle ground between the two. You can't dream your whole life, if you have ideas you need to act upon them, You need to make your life work for you and let your dreams flourish. This has actually had a fairly significient impact on my life. I realized this about two years ago and it is what brought me to IUPUI in the first place to pursue a degree in Media Arts, I've always been interested but saw it as a pipe dream to be in "media." Most people say it can't be done and theres only a few that can make a living off of it, well that also means that somebody is doing it so why not me? So this is me pursuing my dream.
This rant gave me inspiration for an actual deliverable this time.
"The world is plain and quite a bore, when minds flourish on wings we'll soar, Inspiration can be held when you unlock the door, only when you pursue your dreams, will you see what I mean, now close your eyes and hold thy key" - Z.D.
No comments:
Post a Comment